Just returned from my June 2015 trip - quick report

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

amac
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Just returned from my June 2015 trip - quick report

Post by amac »

I just returned from my week long hiking trip in Glacier. This was a return trip for me and my family. I was pretty disappointed the shuttle system wasn't operational, but I made do. In any event, the trails we hiked were Swiftcurrent Lookout, Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge and Grinnell Glacier. First, Swiftcurrent Lookout was an awesome destination. We originally planned to revisit the Highline trail and come down Swiftcurrent, but due to the Shuttle service, we headed in and out from Swiftcurrent Motor Inn. This was a long day and over 4,000 ft of elevation gain. I didn't find anything wrong with the trail. Everything was passable. There was a little snow as you approached the Pass, but otherwise, the trail was wide open. I heard word that someone felt parts of "the devil's elbow" were unsafe due to the narrow / tight path. Personally, I didn't think so. Sure, there were small, loose rocks and a rolling/sloping shoulder downhill, but never did anyone in my family feel unsafe. The final push up to the Lookout was brutal at best. Several times, my boys wanted to turn back. We pushed on and made the summit. I was a bit disappointed to find one side completely covered with clouds. However, it did make for a great picture - family selfie in the clouds. : ) All in all, this was a great hike and I highly recommend this to everyone. Prepare yourself to be tired after.

Second up was Siyeh Bend. After parking my car near the Gorge, I attempted to hitchhike back to my wife and children. It took my an hour to return! :cry: I guess people didn't like my Alabama tee-shirt! Oh well. The way up to Siyeh Bend/Pass, was a great hike. The last 1/4 of mile up the hill side was exhausting, but worth the view at the end. We stopped for lunch up top before beginning our downward adventure. Now, this trail should have been closed. I'm not an experienced hiker and hike every other year and what we went into was dangerous. As we finished our lunch, a storm was brewing above the mountain tops. We heard thunder in the distance and could see the rain falling. We were prepared for the rain, but not what came next. We proceed to descend and came across two men, one about 25 the other, presumably his Dad, about 65. They wore tennis shoes, had no hiking poles or other gear and shared a small back pack. They said they had come up the trail and offered no other insight as to what we were headed in to. I figured, if they can make it up, we can get down. After a few hundred feet, with thunder in the background, the trail disappeared into a sizable snowdrift - icy, compact and steeply sloped. Let the adventure begin! My 11 year old son didn't feel safe, but my 13 year old and I convinced him everything would be fine. We exercised caution, found good footing and safely made our way. We lost the trail several times due to snow and ice until we reached the first bottom. Up to this point, we had good trail and then a larger snowdrift swallowed the trail. I'm not sure if there was an avalanche of sorts, but there were lots of snapped trees and debris kicked up everywhere. We circled around this patch of snow and then lost the trail again. Oops. After following the water downstream a ways, the trail appeared exactly where I said it would. :wink: The rest of this hike was without cause or concern. It just felt as though we would never reach the road. Lucky us, we never got the hard rain or lightning storm overhead. Yes, we probably should have turned back, but we now have a great story to tell!

The last hike was to Grinnell Glacier. For the most part, this was an easy hike with some elevation gain. About 1 - 2 miles out, there was a rope across the trail advising the way ahead was dangerous and not advisable to pass. Half the people with younger children stopped, the other half proceeded. We continued on, but stopped for lunch just before the first snow crossing. I'm glad we did, because we got a great show. First, we saw a beautiful moose in the valley below. He hung out and posed for some pictures. Then, we saw a group of hikers pointing up the hillside near where we sat. Low and behold, a mommy grizzly and her two cubs where cooling off in the snow. The cubs played and mommy sat and watched. We were at least 200 yards or more away and the wind was blowing to our backs. I got some great pics. As for the path to Grinnell, I'm told workers may have to blow up the ice packed snow to open the trail for mid-July. Mother nature may take care of things in her own way.

In all, a great trip. The weather was perfect and trails were in great condition. What's more, we got a great showing of wildlife to top things off. Cheers to all and hike safely.

amac
trevbo

Re: Just returned from my June 2015 trip - quick report

Post by trevbo »

Sounds like you and your family had a good trip. Great to hear. Post up some pics if you have the time!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Hey Amac!

Well done on all your hikes :)
Out of curiosity, what day/date did you do Siyeh Pass?
I went over on Saturday, the 20th.
I had no trouble getting a ride, and I know I'm uglier than you! :mrgreen:
Maybe 'cause I hiked on a Saturday?

My niece and family live in Spanish Fort. Great seafood at some lil joint in Daphne if I recall and another out on the bay on Hwy 42

Glad you had a good time :D

Cheers

pete :wink:
A "Southern Redneck Geezer" at heart 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
goose

Post by goose »

Thinking about going to GNP for 4th time. In June. Did you find any problems with the trails in Many Glacier? We plan on staying at MGH and Granite Park Chalet.

DAvid
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

goose wrote:Thinking about going to GNP for 4th time. In June. Did you find any problems with the trails in Many Glacier? We plan on staying at MGH and Granite Park Chalet.

DAvid
Again, same answer as on the other thread. June 26th is a marginal date for hiking any trail in GNP that crosses the Continental Divide.
Cracker Lake, Iceberg lake, Ptarmigan Tunnel(the tunnel opens until mid July), Swiftcurrent Pass, Piegan Pass trails all could be problematic June 26th.
If you're good traveling across snow, sometimes steepish snow, that would make life easier.
Keep in mind some of the potential snow crossings can be dangerous early in the season.

Last edited by PeteE on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

George Carlin
goose

Post by goose »

Would think it ill-advised to make reservations at Granite PArk Chalet in case Swifcurrent Pass, Highline and/or GTTS to Logan are closed?
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

These two pics were June 24th 2010, the day the Sun Road opened in 2010 if I recall correctly.

Big Drift area just east of Logan Pass

Looking over at the Garden Wall on the 24th. I seriously doubt Swiftcurrent Pass was doable that day.

George Carlin
goose

Post by goose »

Thanks!
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

goose wrote:Thanks!
You're welcome.
Keep in mind that my opinion on late June is just that: my own opinion based on my 15 years living here.
Other members who live around the park may have a different view.

George Carlin

Return to “Trip Reports”