Weather at Logan Pass

Looking for weather information?

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

gypsyjack
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Weather at Logan Pass

Post by gypsyjack »

Say, I know it's been unseasonably warm up here in Minnesota, but has anyone checked out the National Weather Service monitoring station at Logan Pass? Earlier in the week it reported a rise from -20F to +90F over the space of a few hours, and now it shows a similarly dramatic drop back down to -30F! Of course, the data is labeled "suspect"....I should say so!
Ok, so I know that this is bogus data....but I wonder if anyone knows what causes this. Aside from heavy breathing by bears. See, the temperature data is obviously way too high, but it does show the same variation as the correct (low temp) data. I.e., it varies more or less like real data. I guess the real question is: how is the data obtained, stored and transmitted? There appears to be a delay of maybe an hour from the reading (I could be off...it's hard to calibrate with current time).
I was thinking that the problem had something to do with ice melting and dripping off the thermocouple. But I kinda expected that the design of these instruments woulda covered that problem...I think these remote monitoring devices have been in use for decades, so problems would have been addressed long ago.
Anyway, aside from checking the weather in Polebridge, this is the best gauge I can have on the weather in the park, looking at it from nearly 1000 miles away. Well, Ok, there's also the NWS park weather report.
Tara
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Post by Tara »

Interesting question. I would email the park service and see what they say.

weather

Post by guest »

NOAA has some great reporting stations. Just google it.
rjm
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by rjm »

or try this URL to a NOAA map

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mso/newlcl.php

Return to “Weather”