Glacier 2015 Sept 7-13 The Sperry Takeover

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

mattB
Donator & Special Contributor
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Glacier 2015 Sept 7-13 The Sperry Takeover

Post by mattB »

Glacier 2015 The Sperry Takeover

Thought I better get started, before I get too far behind all the rest of the trip reports!

Wed Sept 2nd

Drove from Seattle to Eureka. Spent a few days visiting friends and family.

Here's a view Looking north towards Canada, from about half way between Eureka and Rexford.

Lake Koocanusa near Rexford, looking north

Looking east towards Mt Ksanka from Lake Koocanusa

Another view of Lake Koocanusa, looking NW towards the West Kootenai and Canada.

Mt Ksanka from the hills west of Eureka

Mt Ksanka from just north of town

just north of town, looking north towards Canada

Eureka and Mt Ksanka, from a friends house in town, my friends house is right across the street from where my grandma lived when I was a kid.

This is the ranch where I grew up, a couple miles west of Eureka. I milked cows in the big red barn.
The building in the center in the distance, left of the barn, with the metal roof was our machine shop where we parked our tractor. Our house was just to the right of the machine shop, but its gone now.

Snow in the mountains while I was there. May have been the same night that everyone in Glacier was getting snowed on!

Monday Sept 7th

Drove from Eureka down to Columbia Falls. Made a stop at SuperOne for some groceries, then headed up towards Polebridge.

Looking into Glacier from the Northfork Road.

Stopped at the Merc, but they were out of BearClaws, it seemed to be a theme for the weekend… I got to Schnauss cabin around 4PM, and Jen and Maia showed up around 6.. Enjoyed the views from the cabin, and fiddled a lot with the propane lights and heaters.. There was a note saying the woodstove wasn't working, but we tried it anyway and filled the cabin with smoke.. We had some dinner and beers and played Parcheesi. It was mixed clouds with a few sun breaks in the afternoon, but after dark it cleared off and there were beautiful stars out!..

Schnauss Cabin

Living Room

Kitchen

Stairs from the Living room up to the Loft

My room

The Loft, where Jen and Maia stayed.

A panorama I made from several images I took from the porch of the cabin.

The clouds and sun were going in and out that afternoon, sometimes cloudy and gray sometimes sun breaking through.
View into Glacier from near the cabin

More views from the cabin.

Tuesday Sept 8th

Woke up to clouds and fog, although I heard that the early risers saw nice views of the mountains before the fog rolled in. We had some coffee and breakfast and packed up. Bruce met us and we all drove north to the Trail Creek road for a hike up to Thoma Lookout. Kind of a cloudy partially drizzly day. The drive to the trail head took longer than we’d expected, although it turned out we probably were at the wrong trail head. We hiked a few hours, the higher we got the more drizzly it got and we ran into more snow. We decided to turn around about 1PM without finding the lookout.. Most of us made it back to the car without incident… :-(

Ice and medicinal alcohol was the theme of the evening at Ben Rover cabin. Bruce headed back to Ranch Bottom Cabins, and Jen, Maia, and I had a nice dinner at Northern Lights Saloon. My first time ever at Northern Lights.

With the clouds and drizzle during the hike, and the knee issues afterwards, I didn’t take a single picture that day…

Wed Sept 9th

Wasn’t quite sure what to expect on Wednesday morning.. I was afraid we might be making arrangements for some early departures and trains back to the midwest.. But after some coffee and a bit of breakfast, as we were packing the cars, I discovered that the plan was to “go for it”! So we packed up and headed out, meeting up with Bruce at Home Bottom Ranch, and convoyed to Lake McDonald Lodge, and soon we were on the trail. We took our time, had a nice pleasant hike, and were at the Sperry Dining Hall by about 2PM for some lemonade and a sandwich.

As we were heading towards our rooms we encountered several people in front of the Lodge with way too much wine, and had to stop and investigate.. And low and behold it was the rest of the chatter gang, and I was able to meet my room-mate!! I got my gear into my room, unpacked a bit, and grabbed my cup and headed for the wine bar! What a great afternoon, on the rocks in front of a beautiful lodge, enjoying a beautiful view with some wonderful people!! Our only concern was for the beer that was coming in from Iowa, oh, oops I mean for LikeToHike and FuzzySideDown who were hiking in from Gunsight Pass, but they arrived shortly, in plenty of time for dinner, and the beer was located!

Another great dinner at Sperry! Great food, wonderful friends, and very fun camaraderie with all the other guests who have made the effort to get to Sperry, it is quite a bonding experience! There was a lot of pre-dinner discussion about what the nights menu would be, there was some hope for the awesome Thanksgiving dinner, but there was also some hoping to save the turkey dinner for our last night, but luck was with us and our first night was probably everyone's least favorite the Thai chicken dinner. But its not that it was a bad dinner, in fact I think there was total agreement that it was a great dinner, but it was just the third place dinner of three awesome dinners!!

A little more after dinner wine on the rocks in front of the lodge, enjoyed the stars for a bit, and then off to bed.

No pics on this day either, I guess I was too tired on the trudge up the hill to take pictures, and too excited when I got to the wine bar to remember to take any pictures!!

[To be continued]
Jen

Re: Glacier 2015 Sept 7-13 The Sperry Takeover

Post by Jen »

WooHoo! "Heeeyyyy, Mattb!!!!"
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Hey MATTB!!!!! Man... I'm glad the beer was still there when we got there... Ha! :lol: Great to meet you there! Should you ever find yourself in the midwest, give us a holler.....

FuzzySideDown!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Bruce
Donator
Donator

Post by Bruce »

Some beautiful country in those pics Matt - really like the one showing your boyhood ranch, very cool...
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

awesome trip report so far, Matt! I enjoyed all the pictures...looking forward to more! :)
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

MattB. Hey a shot of the barn where ya pulled tits. Not every trip report includes that. Keep it coming. (Digging the phtoos.)

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
mattB

Post by mattB »

FuzzySideDown wrote:Hey MATTB!!!!! Man... I'm glad the beer was still there when we got there... Ha! :lol: Great to meet you there! Should you ever find yourself in the midwest, give us a holler.....

FuzzySideDown!
It was a great trip!! I will definitely look you all up if I get out that way!! I am working on a plan, but it would probably be spring 2016.
mattB

Post by mattB »

Thur Sept 10th

Some morning pics: Edwards as the sun was coming up, Looking west towards Lake McDonald, and the Sperry dining room after breakfast.

I was a little slow getting going, so the rest of the gang was out ahead of me, some were heading to Lincoln Pass, and some to Gunsight Pass.. I was headed for Lincoln Pass and then maybe a scrambled up to the peak.

Edwards from the trail to Lincoln Pass

Sperry Lodge from the trail

Lake McDonald from near Lincoln Pass

Edwards again

Looking down at Sperry Lodge

Sperry and Edwards (two images merged together)

Lincoln Pass is a great hike on a nice day, pretty easy and short, it was just over an hour from the Chalet until I was at the top. The Pass is a nice trail and then its an easy scramble up to the peak..
I didn’t hear anyone ahead of me, so I thought maybe everyone else had headed toward Gunsight Pass, so thought I might be alone on Lincoln Peak, and then I heard a yell from above “Heeeeyyyy, Maaaattttt Beeee”!! :-)

Had a very nice lunch atop Lincoln with Jay, Jen, Maia, Bruce, Kyle and Blanka! What an awesome way to spend an afternoon, a nice sunny day, gorgeous views!!

Edwards and Gunsight (merged images)

Looking down on Sperry from Lincoln Peak

My Favorite Pic!

I took a 360degree panorama from the top of Lincoln Peak, because of the sun glare, only about 220 degrees turned out.
Here is one section showing Edwards, Gunsight, and I think Mt Jackson(?) (* This is a wide image, so you may have to scroll right to see it all *)
I like to call this one “Gunsight in the center, Edwards on the left, and FuzzySideDown on the right”!! :-)

Lake Ellen Wilson and Mt Jackson (I think?)

Scrambled down to Lincoln Pass.
Another merged panorama looking towards LakeEllenWIlson, from Lincoln Pass

Then a nice hike back down to Sperry.

And then another nice afternoon, lounging in the sun on the rocks in front of the lodge. Today the Wine Bar was supplimented with Nice Shoes Scotch Ale and Fuzzy Side Down IPA from the Franklin Street Brewery in Manchester, Iowa; and it was thoroughly enjoyed by all!
Tonya’s kind of hidden, and I missed Maia, but I got our cardiologist, our lawyer, and our Red Bus driver!! :-)

Maia and I did some art on the rocks!!

And here’s our collaboration! Maia did the waterfall and outlined the rocks, I filled in the rocks!

Another great Sperry Dinner, the famous Thanksgiving dinner, and it lived up to the advertising!!
July Guy
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by July Guy »

mattB wrote: And here’s our collaboration! Maia did the waterfall and outlined the rocks, I filled in the rocks!
That is just wonderful. Tag - team art at the chalet!
"So how was your trip to Minnesota, or Canada, or wherever it is you go?"

~ Coworker
FuzzySideDown
Site Admin & Donator
Site Admin & Donator

Post by FuzzySideDown »

Man..... Yea.... Nicely done Matt and Maia! 10 thumbs up! You two can really paint!

Hanging out on top of Lincoln Peak with the gang was pretty darn awesome! And so was having drinks with the whole gang at the chalet! Frankly, the whole dang thing was.......Yep.... Awesome!

Awesome!

FuzzySideDown!
🧊🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Nice TR Matt. :D

You and Maia done good on the art work. :D
Is an art show going to be an ongoing thing at the Sperry takeovers in the future?

pete :wink:
Last edited by PeteE on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
Jen

Post by Jen »

Maia likes the colors you chose for the rocks, MattB! 8)

I KNOW I took pictures of the artists at work bu I can't seem to find them. :evil:
mattB

Post by mattB »

Jen wrote:Maia likes the colors you chose for the rocks, MattB! 8)

I KNOW I took pictures of the artists at work bu I can't seem to find them. :evil:
I'm glad she likes the colors of the rocks, I was worried.. Its kind of a fun technique, you put down one layer of paint usually an orange, red,or yellow, let it dry just a bit, them cover it with a blue or purple; let it dry a bit more and then scrape it with the edge of a credit card! It mixes the colors, and you get some nice grays and browns, and lighter areas where you scrape more, it makes great rocks!!.. But you never know quite what you're going to get, so it was a little risky! But I like the way it turned out!!
mattB

Post by mattB »

PeteE wrote:Nice TR Matt. :D

You and Maia done good on the art work. :D
Is an art show going to be an ongoing thing at the Sperry takeovers in the future?
pete :wink:
Thanks! I'll have to check with my Art Partner about the Sperry Takeover Art Show, but I think it might be possible!! :-)
liketohike
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female

Post by liketohike »

great artwork! you two are quite talented! ...that technique sounds interesting. what kind of paint do you use for that?
actually I like your picture of the mountains as well!

Return to “Trip Reports”