November around the park

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

long time Kalispell girl
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

November around the park

Post by long time Kalispell girl »

Friday November 6th

Drive to Kintla Lake

I was anxious to try one of the huckleberry bear claws at the Merc. Not much activity going on there and as we got out of the truck, there was no pastry smells in the air. A pumpkin greated us at the front door, but the sign said CLOSED Nov. 1st until Jan. 1st AWWWWW. We enjoyed the crisp air for a while and then headed for Bowman Lake. It seems my son got a bit confused about which turn to take so we ventured on to Kintla Lake. Salright. We had a nice day, there was snow on the road in the shade. Since we brought water and a couple of bananas, we were thinking about where we could find a meal. West Glacier was buttoned up tight and the Glacier Highland across from the Belton train depot was also buttoned up tight. Coffee Traders in Columbia Falls was the next idea....they button up at 2pm. Onward and upward. The Back Room was next.....they open at 4pm. We settled for the Nite Owl as most anything would do at this point. Home again Home again Jiggety Jig.

Saturday November 7th

Drive to East Glacier
We put some bananas, sunflower seed, and water in the cooler. The first stop for the day would be the Izaak Walton. Someone mentioned the huckleberry cobbler and I was ready for it, even if it would be breakfast. It was not to be....they were closed from Nov. 2nd until Nov. 12th. The air was crisp and it was almost sunny. My other goal at Izaak Walton was a T-shirt for my sister. The state of Montana on the front with the numbers, 406 in the middle of the state. Pretty cool, since that will be our only area code until at least the year 2022. Maybe her friend Susan will let her borrow her T-shirt that she bought at Izaak Walton in Sept. We were hoping for a train to pass by, but we heard no train whistles. The sound we did hear was a gun shot. It is hunting season and there is a fine line between the Park and lands you can shoot and kill for the long winter ahead. We traveled on towards East Glacier. We took a couple of photo stops (nothing to compare to Jay's photos) but my rescue dog needed a break now and then too. Brownies and The Spoon Store were on our list of must see and I was told there would be food. Foiled again Yogi. My son remarked at the silence in the park this time of year. Much more sane than the hub bub of July. The Two Medicine Grill...known to the locals as The Diner was open and serving food. It filled the void and we headed back to Kalispell. After we got here, we decided we really needed a huckleberry fix. Sykes market was our next destination. I had huckleberry bread pudding with a scoop of ice cream and a little caramel sauce drizzled over the top. Can you just about taste it? So good. Dave had a sandwich and a huckleberry shake. Now the day was complete. A perfect day. A day in the Park with my son, what could be better than that?
Two Medicine Grill...etc.
"Dance like no one is watching."
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Re: November around the park

Post by Jay w »

You sure have a knack for finding closed eateries on an empty stomach.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Hi long time Kalispell girl! Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you are having a nice visit with your son despite the lack of dining options. The Back Room is a good substitute for Northern lights in a pinch. Mmmmm....ribs!!!

I heard the Merc has a shop in whitefish now. I wonder if it is stocked with bear claws???

Thanks for the local report. :D

-The Jen
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Has anyone been to the Merc's location in Whitefish recently?
Have they moved?
I walked by the location across from Central School, same block as the Jersey Boys pizza, and that whole "vendor mini mall" or whatever you call it was shut down.
And it seems it was on a week day, or a day that I would have thought they'd be open.
Or am I having a "senior moment"? 8)
Seems that is increasingly possible.

Welcome to the chat long time Kalispell girl :)
We may cross paths this winter!
Looks like our first valley snow is on the way.

pete :wink:
Not so long time Whitefish boy 8)
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

dpratt wrote:
PeteE wrote:Has anyone been to the Merc's location in Whitefish recently?
My wife was there about a month ago, maybe 6 weeks, but nothing more recent than that. I attempted to go there during their posted business hours back in September and it was closed, but my wife's visit was more recent that that. Kind of weird.
Ok, I forgot to drive by their place on the way home just now.
So I'll walk up there and see who's home and what's cookin', if anything. 8)

long time Kalispell girl
Do you and your family go to the park much in the fall/winter "off season"?

later

George Carlin
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

I guess I really was having a "senior moment". :(
The Polebridge Merc's bakery in Whitefish is alive and well. :mrgreen:
Open 9-5 Monday-Saturday.

Mini cinnamon buns for $3.00 + 20 cents for the WF city fathers. We are afterall...a "resort" you know 8)
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

George Carlin
shadowdan

Post by shadowdan »

I can also verify that the merc in Whitefish is open. I also spotted a local celebrity taking a selfie :D :D
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

shadowdan wrote:Image

I can also verify that the merc in Whitefish is open. I also spotted a local celebrity taking a selfie :D :D

This is great!!!! What a small world. Love it.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

OMG!!!!!
I saw this a while ago when I was just finished eating.
I sat down with a cup of coffee and nearly choked....once again. :lol:

Dan, that is the funniest thing I've seen in ages!
People have no clue how coincidental that had to be.
Especially since I decided at the last minute to double back(after walking away)...and make that selfie.
I still can't use my new "smart phone", a galaxy S4. :(
Way too funny!

I hope long time kalispell girl has a sense of humor.
We haven't meant to destroy your Trip Report, honestly!

cheers and long live the Merc's bakery in Whitefish

George Carlin
shadowdan

Post by shadowdan »

I promise I'm not stalking you Pete. I was in my car across the street waiting on my daughter to get out of school. Spotted you on your mission and saw the selfie about to happen. Couldn't resist :evil:
long time Kalispell girl

PeteE wrote:
long time Kalispell girl
Do you and your family go to the park much in the fall/winter "off season"?
I don't go to the Park much in the winter. My son is visiting and we thought we would enjoy the silence. It was wonderful. :arrow:
PJ

Post by PJ »

If a chatter takes a selfie in Whitefish, and no one sees it, is it still visible? We'll never know, because it WAS seen. Incredible.
long time Kalispell girl

Wednesday November 11th

We traveled to Whitefish in search of the Polebridge Merc/Bakery. Yea we found it and drooled over the huckleberry bear claws..

http://polebridgemerc.com/whitefish-location/

The other goal was to have breakfast at the Buffalo Cafe. This has always been the place to have breakfast in Whitefish. No kidding, they were closed November 11th thru the 15th for cleaning. We wandered around the corner and found a great little place with coffee and breakfast stuff. There was a 90+ Navy Vet having his morning coffee and sticky bun. We thanked him for his Service.

Friday November 13th

We headed South to Bigfork. First going down the West Shore to M&S meats for some elk jerky and a buffalo burger (Rollins Restaurant & RV Park). This place no longer processes your fall kill of elk, deer, bear or any other animal so there were no dogs hanging around for scraps. Lucy helped us with the jerky and said the processing became too much. Flathead lake was beautiful as always. White caps and grey skies....Bigfork was pretty quiet. Most of the places were taking advantage of the lack of cusomers to get their Christmas decorating started. The Elves come to decorate the day after Thanksgiving. I have had my fill of gift shops for now.
Jen

Post by Jen »

Bigfork is such a cool little town. I have to make time to get back there one of these years.

Return to “Trip Reports”