Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter 2016-17 Around GNP

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

PeteE
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Re: Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter 2016-17 Around GNP

Post by PeteE »

Subject: Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter 2016-17 Around GNP
MarxMN wrote:Those two are fascinating. i do wonder if they were only communicating with each other or with others in the neighborhood.

I think it is good to see all that snow.

Bill
Yeah, some days they just make me wonder what they are thinking and talking about.
There are no other ravens in the immediate area to talk to. I love hearing them make those soft little "ruffing" calls to each other.
And I'm still fascinated with Bonnie. She makes all those strange calls and exhibits a variety of "body language" postures.
Clyde not so much. However, when Clyde does "talk" it can be dramatic. You just never know what they're going to do.

Occasionally, I do see and here ravens around Apgar. I don't believe they come near the lodge though. Not in the winter and early spring anyway. I do see an occasional crow or two at the lodge in the summer when B&C aren't around. I have no idea where they go these days to nest. 4 years ago they nested in a tree at the Sprague Creek picnic area.

Ravens are very territorial and will drive off "intruders" given a chance.
A couple times I've observed that the behavior of both of them change rapidly.
They will change to loud, "harsh" calls and fly off, presumably after some real or perceived threat.
Their eyesight is nothing short of phenomenal. They don't miss anything going on around them.

The 50-100 crows that I feed at home from my window are beginning to get noisy and are pairing up.
There are two ravens who live down the street and nest on the Whitefish river near Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke's home.
They may be nesting now. I've not seen either in days.

Hard to believe they'll be nesting soon with all the snow remaining. But they've been at it for eons. Corvids are among the most successful of all bird families. Crows and ravens nest early to take advantage of all the high quality food available as the snow melts back revealing dead animals. "Meat" is what crows, ravens, magpies overwhelming prefer in their diet, especially to feed their young.

Thanks Bill

I'll continue to post pics and video of them when I can

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
nkrainywindlg
Gender?: Female

Post by nkrainywindlg »

Hi Pete, Thanks for sharing the photos and stories about Bonnie and Clyde. Winter is hard for animals, but the spring will come soon after the storm.
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

nkrainywindlg wrote:Hi Pete, Thanks for sharing the photos and stories about Bonnie and Clyde. Winter is hard for animals, but the spring will come soon after the storm.
You're welcome :)
Yeah, ravens are tough birds physically. They're well adapted for severe cold.
However, it's a raven's large brain that accounts for their success in thriving over such a large range all over the world.
Their "intelligence" and quirky behavior are a big part why B&C are fun to watch and photograph 8)
They'll probably be around for another month to 6 weeks before moving to a more remote area for nesting--but still near the lake and the road.
That's speculation on my part though. Who knows? Maybe they'll nest at the Sprague Creek CG again. I just don't know.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin

Return to “Trip Reports”