HELP! URGENT! March 15th 8:00am Online process

Are you a seasoned hiker, or just starting out? Let us know your questions or experience with the backcountry permit process.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

DonnaGail
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

HELP! URGENT! March 15th 8:00am Online process

Post by DonnaGail »

I preloaded a form over a week ago for the March 15th 8:00AM online permit process. When I go to my 'Saved' form I only see a summary of the details, such as date I preloaded the form, the tracking number, etc. but when I click the 'Continue to Form' I get this message: No Active Revision Found For This Agency Form

I can only pull up the form as a PDF and I can't find any SUBMIT button that I will need to use tomorrow when I submit my request. I thought I would need to access the actual only form to be able to submit it, not a PDF since the PDF doesn't even display a submit button.

HELP!!!

Donna
Last edited by DonnaGail on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonnaGail

Re: HELP! URGENT! March 15th 8:00am Online process

Post by DonnaGail »

Ok. So I went back to the Park's permit link and see where there the preloaded forms are in LOCK DOWN on March 14th and lock down will be removed at 8:00am.
How stressful is that! NOT being able to see your form and make sure it will come up at 8:00am!!! OMG!
orin
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by orin »

Yeah. I think they could have set the submission up in a way that was a lot less stressful for people. They should just let the computer randomly assign priorities to all of the applications that were submitted by a particular date. Everyone having to log in at precisely 8:00am to fight it out for first come first served is nuts. But nobody asked me.
PeteE
Gender?: Male

Post by PeteE »

orin wrote:Yeah. I think they could have set the submission up in a way that was a lot less stressful for people. They should just let the computer randomly assign priorities to all of the applications that were submitted by a particular date. Everyone having to log in at precisely 8:00am to fight it out for first come first served is nuts. But nobody asked me.
I agree Orin. This is stupid. Just like the Sperry chalet application in January.
Your suggestion is essentially a computerized version of the past hand done lottery system done in the BC office.
And it makes a lot of sense to me. Everyone gets a random number and your application gets processed when it gets drawn.
It would help getting all the bugs out of the application forms too.
A 15 year old HS student could write a better "app".

I said I wasn't gonna put one in but I did.
I have one ready to go, or I "think" I do. 8)
I'll see. I got nothing better to do tomorrow at 0800.

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Good luck to you all. I hope it goes alright for the first year with the new system. I'm sitting this one out this year. I got my Granite Park Chalet and Many Glacier campground reservations so I'm happy. Only backcountry site I might be interested in this year is Cracker Lake and that shouldn't be too hard to get as a walk up.

Tina
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Good luck to those submitting.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

smahurin wrote:Good luck to those submitting.
I'm watching the lil arrow go round and round as it grinds on. :x What a joke this process is.

pete :wink:

EDIT ADD
Well, as of 0808 the system took my application and my money via PAYPAL.
Now it's just wait and see.
Last edited by PeteE on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
iagreewithjamie

Post by iagreewithjamie »

Done. I don't know what's more stressful - the submission process, or the waiting while wondering if you messed anything up on the form.
REALLY slow response time: I wonder how many people are on right now submitting.
Nothing on the top, but a bucket and a mop
and an illustrated book about birds.
You see alot up there, but don't be scared:
who needs actions when you got words?
cdsmith379
Donator
Donator

Post by cdsmith379 »

That was much more stressful than it should have been...very slow here clicking through each page.
Ear Mountain
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by Ear Mountain »

I logged in at 9:53 AM EDT and found the message in RED at the top of the page indicating that the form will not be available until 10 AM EDT. I waited patiently until the correct time and clicked on the button to retrieve my form. I found the entries on the first page correct. On the second page the dates were present but trailheads and campsites were missing. I entered those and saved the form. Then went back to the form, went through all pages again and they were correct. So I clicked on Submit. This took me to the page to pay. I had saved a payment method to my account so all I had to do was enter the security code for my credit card and click on the accept terms button. Hitting the button to complete payment immediately brought up a receipt screen which I saved as a PDF. My email received a receipt within 30 seconds. All in all the process took my 6 minutes.
Text and photos Copyright 2007-2023.
mtjana

Post by mtjana »

Mine didn't have the pre-populated campsite information on it this morning (everything else was there). So I had to redo. Thankfully, I had saved my form on my computer in PDF, so could redo it easily. Other than that it went pretty well.
The best things in life are dangerous...
joybird
Donator
Donator

Post by joybird »

It took me about 4 very stressful minutes to complete the submission…about a minute delay as it progressed through each page of the application. Seems crazy to me that you can't just jump ahead to the last page of your *already completed and saved* application and submit it with one or two clicks.

I agree with Orin's assessment. Maybe we should write letters to GNP asking them to do it that way in the future? Or put together a petition…I'm sure we could get 1000 signatures from all of this morning's stressed out backpackers! :roll:

And now the waiting begins…Good luck everyone!

Please let the rest of us know when the approvals start coming in (just DON'T post your permit number…there may be poachers out there!)
sbosecker
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by sbosecker »

A similar report as everyone else.

I had a preloaded set of itineraries from a couple of days ago. I had also entered my Credit Card information at that time as well. At 10:00 am EDT, after clicking the form button repeatedly - starting 30 seconds prior - I was allowed to continue my application. I too was surprised that I couldn't just jump ahead to the pay & submit page. The Credit Card Security Code request could have slowed my application as I wasn't expecting that but I had my card close at hand and the delay was minimal. At 10:04:49 am EDT, my application was paid for.

Good luck to all.

Scott
smahurin

Post by smahurin »

Yikes, process sounds kind of crazy. I know in years past sometimes GNP has posted on their blog or facebook how many lotto submittals they go. Curious if they'll do that this year, I'm just interested in what kind of turnout they get.
paul
Donator
Donator

Post by paul »

I didn't submit an application this year, but I'm curious to know if after submitting the request if the user gets any indication of where they fit in the application queue. For instance, was your application the 1st, 2nd... 50th submitted. That would be really helpful to know and pretty easy to do.
We are in the mountains and the mountains are in us. - John Muir

Return to “Backcountry Permits”