Trip of a lifetime- UPK/BOU/HOL/BOU/UPK

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

iagreewithjamie
Gender?: Male
Please add the numbers(11): 11

Trip of a lifetime- UPK/BOU/HOL/BOU/UPK

Post by iagreewithjamie »

Hi folks,
I want to start by thanking everyone who helped me plan my recent trip to Glacier. This board is the BEST resource for trip planning - you guys are awesome!
One thing I did find lacking was recent trip reports - here's my contribution. (BTW, if you have problems seeing the pics, let me know and I'll use a flickr link instead).

Before's
On arriving, we used AirBnB for our first night's stay. We stayed with this very interesting local guy named Life Noell in Whitefish. He runs what I would consider a hiker hostile out of his house. As our first introduction to Montana, he was great and made us feel right at home. He also lended us a can of bear spray, and had an extra IsoPro tank that a previous tenant had left. Did you know bear spray costs $50 ? We were glad to have the freebie.

We checked out a local townie bar in Whitefish. I can't believe you people in Montana charging $3.50 for a pour of Deschutes and not charging tax. Beer is $7-$10 a pour in Massachusetts. Stay thirsty, my friends.

The next day, we went to the park and visited the one-of-a-kind Polebridge Mercantile, and devoured their outrageously delicious Huckleberry Bear Claws. I've destroyed some French Bakeries in my time, and I have to say, whoever is the head pastry chef at the Merc is definitely professionally trained. Those were the best pastries I've had outside of France. Amazing. We car camped the first night at Bowman, and did a fair amount of swimming watching the sun set against Rainbow Peak.

Day 1 - To UPK
We made it out to Kintla Lake with no problem (after another stop at the Merc, more bear claws, and some stuffed breakfast pastries). I should mention here that on going back through the ranger station, we simply asked if they had some bear spray, and they were happy to sign one out to us. We were told by almost every other hiking group we encountered that they also asked, and were told the park doesn't issue spray because of liability. If I didn't mention it, bear spray is fifty bux a can, so we went into the woods with $100 of free bear spray - thanks!

If your hike begins with an 11.5 mile trek to UPK, be warned that the "400 ft elevation gain" is a joke. The PUDs (pointless ups and downs) equate to around 1500 ft of total elevation gain on that stretch. It's not "a few hills to try and tire you out" - it's a haul... especially when it's 80 degrees and the sun is beating down on you. I ditched pack and wound up in Kintla lake a few times. We rolled into UPK around 9:30.
Speaking of which, what's up with the sunset at 10:00p? That was an unexpected surprise.

Day 2 - UP UP UP to Boulder Pass
We set out to Boulder Pass. Encountered some sleet along the way which made us instantly grateful that our discussion on whether a tarp was worth the extra weight ended with an agreement to take the tarp. We should've pressed on - we made better time than planned, and were much closer to the pass than we thought. We arrived at Boulder Pass to bright sunshine, and set up camp... only to have a hail storm show up 5 minutes later. This set the pace for the whole trip - pack up, move, set up, hunker down through a thunderstorm, rush out to cook dinner, hunker down for another storm, sleep, rise and repeat. Each day, we hiked in GREAT weather, and each afternoon we hunkered down for the 2-3 hour thunder show.

While heading up to BOU, we got our first glimpse of the Agassiz. I saw pictures in the ranger station from the 1930s, and seeing this massive hulk of ice being reduced to puddles made me rather emotional. Go to Glacier NOW... this beautiful Glacier isn't going to be around much longer. I live in New England where the impacts of glaciation are apparent, but watching the glacier actively work to carve out a mountain was a spectacular site. Image

By the way, Boulder Pass is BEAUTIFUL!

My wife and I have been talking about adding a half bath. This is the view from the toilet at Boulder Pass - I have some ideas for a bathroom now...

There's also a VERY curious inhabitant at BOU - we saw this guy a few times:

To HOL
If you can do one hike in your life, make sure it's the 5 mile stretch from BOU to HOL. This is the most spectacular site I've ever seen. Best five miles of my life. There are no words to describe it.

On leaving BOU, we passed the notorious moon-scape rock field on the side of Boulder Peak, along with some pretty awesome up-close views of the retreating glacier and snow fields. As you reach the crest of the pass, you start to see Thunderbird mountain, and then you know you're in the wilderness.
At the beginning of the trip, we discussed whether or not to bring ice axes and traction. We're glad we did. No only did we need them, we had to lend them to other people coming up from FRA who were apprehensive about crossing the field. The proof was in the pudding - there was a group an hour behind us, and one of them took quite a slide after losing his footing. That said, the worst part wasn't the snow crossing, it was the slippery muddy scree field a few minutes before. Extreme care was required.

We arrived at HOL (after raiding the huckleberry bushes at the trail junction), and went about our routine: set up, then hunker down for the thunderstorm. I'm glad the storm came because it filled up the waterfalls and gave us quite the light show with the sky.

At this point, I have to comment about preparation. At 9:30, a couple rolls in completely soaked to the bone. All of their gear was soaked as well. No rain gear, no pack cover, AND... cotton clothes. Some folks at HOL contributed some dry clothes to the couple, but I'm a bit surprised they made it through the 45 degree night. I don't know if they were aware just how close to death they were - hypothermia is more dangerous than a grizzly.

Back to BOU

We hated to leave HOL - it's just beautiful. There are waterfalls in every direction - it's just mesmerizing.
But we headed back up to BOU (barebooted the crossings this time - what a difference a day makes), and were treated to fantastic weather all day.
Not only that, but the the wildflowers decided that they'd been sleeping long enough, and almost overnight, the meadows were FILLED with flowers. I don't think you guys mentioned the flowers - they are EVERYWHERE. Just beautiful.

We spent two nights at BOU just enjoying the surroundings. When the morning came to hike down to UPK, the temp dropped to around 30 degrees, and we were treated to an hour-long snow storm. Finally, we had a window, and made a long, wet descent back down to UPK. We were the only campers at UPK. Yes... we were the ONLY campers at UPK... which means I got some great pictures come morning:

And out...
The 11.5 miles back out went twice as fast as the way in. We had 65-70 degree weather, and it was a perfect hiking day. We stopped often to chat with other hikers, taking an excessively long lunch at Kintla Head.

We arrived back to our car and proceeded to our AirBnB in Kalispell. The next couple days, we explored what Montana had to offer - we visited a few microbreweries, and went shooting (we live in Massachusetts - they DO NOT like guns here). I also made sure to buy as many huckleberry items as I could reasonably take. You guys have no idea how good you have it with all those hucks around... and I have to say, the flathead valley has some of the finest cooks in the country. So many awesome huckleberry desserts. Yummy.

Summary
This was the trip of a lifetime. I took close to 700 pictures! Out of all places I've been in my life, the Boulder Pass trail from Kinta to Hole in the Wall is the most spectacular. The scenery is always changing, the challenges are non-stopped and ever evolving, and the experience is one-of-a-kind.

Some things I learned:
1. Ask for bear spray - you might just save a fortune

2. Listen to the rangers - when they say you'll need traction, YOU WILL NEED TRACTION

3. The campsites are flood plains - ice axes make great irrigation tools

4. The more you prepare beforehand, the better your trip will be. We saw so many people fumbling to "make their gear work", or trying to figure out "geez, what do we do now?" We had a plan for everything, and took gear for every situation. It was the perfect trip - we used everything in our packs except the first aid kit. We even had to give gear to people who didn't quite prepare properly. So... the more time you put into planning your trip, the more you'll be able to enjoy it.

I know I'm leaving out a lot, and there are 100 times as many pictures on my roll than what I posted here. If there's anything you want to see or know, feel free to reach out to me.

Thanks again for all the help you guys provided. This was the best trip of my life, and I owe you guys a huge debt of gratitude.
And if you're local... always remember just how awesome you have it. Glacier National Park IS the Crown of the Continent.

Nothing on the top, but a bucket and a mop
and an illustrated book about birds.
You see alot up there, but don't be scared:
who needs actions when you got words?
HoustonHiker

Re: Trip of a lifetime- UPK/BOU/HOL/BOU/UPK

Post by HoustonHiker »

Nice write up. Thanks for posting. This site really is a trove of information for us first timers planning a trip to Glacier. I leave for my first trip to Glacier later this week and will stay at BOU and HOL next week.

I did not plan on bringing traction equipment for this route in late August. Do I need to?

I figured bear spray must be expensive. I saw places renting it for $28/week.
flatlander
Donator
Donator

Post by flatlander »

THANK YOU for the great trip report. It's been too long since I last did Boulder Pass, but its going back on my "to do" list after seeing your report and photos.
iagreewithjamie

HoustonHiker wrote:
I did not plan on bringing traction equipment for this route in late August. Do I need to?
The snow crossings were just about bridged when we went. My guess is that the trail appeared a day or so after we were there.
It did snow on us, though... so keep an eye on the weather. If it stays warm, I wouldn't think they'd be a problem.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

That's a very cool trip. I like hearing about your enthusiasm for the trip and enjoyed the report. Three years ago, I did that hike right after the birth of our third grandchild (her birthday is today). The story is here:

http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... =11&t=8008

The weeks before the trip were absolutely crazy. It was my first time general contracting a project, and I underestimated what that meant. I was expecting that the hired help knew what they were doing, and they certainly did in specific areas, but the responsibility for everything was squarely on me.

I left home right after the roof when on...great trip.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
iagreewithjamie

Jay w wrote:Three years ago, I did that hike right after the birth of our third grandchild (her birthday is today). The story is here:

http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.co ... =11&t=8008

Jay
Thanks Jay. I read your report over breakfast this morning. I don't recommend trying to eat while reading your posts - hilarious.
PeteE

Post by PeteE »

Nice report Jamie!
You planned and prepared well and were rewarded with a terrific backpacking trip.
Thanks for sharing your experience with everyone here.
Looks like we have yet one more couple "hooked on Glacier National Park"
Good on ya! :arrow:

pete :wink:
"If you are not curious, you will learn nothing" -Goethe-

"When you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show.
And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

George Carlin
calicotraveler
Gender?: Female

Post by calicotraveler »

Your photos would make anyone want to go to Glacier NP!
The mountains are calling and I must go.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Sounds like a really great trip. Thanks for taking the time to share your report with us!

I also got sucked into Jay's report. I remember reading it a while back, but enjoyed reading it a second time. Hilarious! Thanks for the link, Jay.
tibber
2.0 Donator
2.0 Donator

Post by tibber »

Thx for all the great information and pictures. I am hoping to do some form of the Kintla Bowman Loop next summer. Just trying to gather some folks from Arizona to go along with me. I may have missed it but what dates did you go? I'm thinking I should plan for doing this later in July or early August to avoid crossing snowfields. We had to do that in 2011 and it's a little... no a lot, nerve-wracking.
iagreewithjamie

tibber wrote: I may have missed it but what dates did you go? I'm thinking I should plan for doing this later in July or early August to avoid crossing snowfields.
Aug 4-11.
Sunday the 7th required traction. Monday the 8th did not. On the 8th, you could actually start to see the trail sticking out of the biggest snow crossing, so I think it would've been smooth sailing by the end of that week. We did get tons of rain, so I'm sure that helped.
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

iagreewithjamie wrote:
Jay w wrote:
Thanks Jay. I read your report over breakfast this morning. I don't recommend trying to eat while reading your posts - hilarious.
Thanks, and to teapot too. I'd like to get out there again (even this year), but there's a 1000 miles and a 100 things in the way.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
canyonman67

Post by canyonman67 »

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your report. I loved your pics and cannot wait to see those sights with my own eyes. THREE MORE WEEKS :D wooo hooo
missguinness
Donator
Donator

Post by missguinness »

You were is my favorite part of the park. If you had gotten to Lake Francis, that would have topped it all off. So glad you were prepared for all weather. It is so important. Your photos are GORGEOUS!! Thanks for sharing.
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
~Victor Hugo
nkrainywindlg

Post by nkrainywindlg »

This trip was my second option when I submitted my application for the backcountry permit earlier this year. I have to say north fork area is equally beautiful as north circle route. I will definitely do this hike if my husband agrees to do another backcountry hike in future. :arrow: Love your photos.

Return to “Trip Reports”