August Adventures in the Park

Well, tell us how your trip went. We all want to hear about your special experience.

Moderators: teapot57, Tara

teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Gender?: Female
Please add the numbers(11): 11

August Adventures in the Park

Post by teapot57 »

I did some great hiking in the Park this summer. Living so close, I made a few small trips instead of one long one. I've already reported on our July Hockey Ref hike and Granite Park Chalet stay. This thread will cover my August adventures in the Park.

The first of these visits to the Park was a four night stay in East Glacier with a group of 7 Calgary friends. We rented a cabin on the north side of East Glacier through vrbo. It was right down the block from Mountain Pine Motel and just off the 9th hole of the golf course.

The cabin is owned by a relative of the family that runs Mountain Pine, and the motel staff took very good care of our needs. I would recommend this cabin to any large group wanting to stay near Two Med. The cost wasn't bad, lower than Park accommodations, when split between 7 people. The cabin has 3 bedrooms and a loft, with plenty of space for all seven of us. There are 6 beds and also some cots in the loft area, so you could easily sleep ten people. The cabin has 3 bathrooms and 3 showers.

We took full advantage of the kitchen, BBQ and fire pit. Before we arrived, I had asked the owner how many chairs they had for sitting outside. He made sure we had enough for our group, and even left us some firewood.

As you can see, we enjoyed some beautiful sunsets from our yard.

Next up . . . . the hikes! I had three full days of hiking with this group.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Re: August Adventures in the Park

Post by teapot57 »

Cobalt Lake

If you have a hike planned with a large group it can be hard to get everyone out the door first thing in the morning. Especially if dinner at Serranos the night before included margarita pitchers ("Only a couple dollars more for Cuervo Gold? Why not!"). If you think you might find yourself in this situation, I have one word of advice . . . Choose a hike where you can take the boat, and purchase boat tickets in advance. That way, you have a firm deadline for getting out the door. Otherwise, you'll miss the boat, lose your cash, and have to walk an extra three miles with a hangover.

Prior to the trip, we decided to do a "shorter" hike the first day to get ourselves into the groove. That's how we ended up on the boat-- It brought our mileage for Cobalt Lake down to a little over 9 miles round trip. Even though mileage goes down a little, elevation increases a bit to 1,800 feet.

I really enjoyed this hike. Rockwell Falls was impressive, and the hike along the creek after the switchbacks was beautiful.

The monkey flowers were out of control! It was a carpet of yellow and pink just below the lake. The iPhone photos don't do it justice.

We enjoyed our lunch at the lake and tried to find Two Medicine Pass from below but couldn't identify it. I would have loved to hike to Chief Lodgepole Peak, but we were keeping it "short".

I like rocks, especially this one. This was taken from the lakeshore looking toward the backcountry campground.

We found these cones to be unusual. I've never seen black cones with oozy stuff like these. Can anyone identify?

We had a nice hike back down to the boat dock. The weather was perfect.

View of Two Medicine Lake hiking back down from Cobalt Lake.

In retrospect, I would have skipped the boat for the return trip. There were so many people waiting for a spot at 5:00, and not one passenger got off the boat when it arrived, leaving very few seats. We were lucky enough to make the first boat, but some people who had been there before others did not make it on board. I think the boat company needs to come up with a better way of managing the seats for the return trips, instead of making it a free for all. Some people got ugly, pushing their way to the front for a spot.

It was a great day. We went back to the cabin and grilled ribs for dinner. We should have gone to bed early because we had a big hike and an early morning planned for the next day, but we had fun talking late into the night. I showered around midnight and then went off to bed to try to get a good sleep for the next hike, one I had been looking forward to for a long time.
Jay w
Gender?: Male

Post by Jay w »

Margaritas....ahh....

On my last trip, I did a hike to Cobalt and it had been years. The pass is surprisingly far to the left in your photo (not the low spot), but I didn't quite make it over the pass. (Crazy windy).

Having a shot of Casa Noble blanco...

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
ND

Post by ND »

First time I hiked to Cobalt Lake the black flies were in abundance. I remember we couldn't stand still for a moment at Rockwell Falls. It was crazy. Only happened just that one time though. I don't know if flies are in some kind of cyclic pattern and only are prominent in certain years. Anyway, after the falls the hike seemed to be an upward grind. Here's the funny thing. The name Cobalt caused me to imagine that the lake was some magical color, perhaps a Cracker Lake on steroids :lol: To say the least, with those high expectations, I was a bit disappointed to see it was a 'normal' mountain lake. I was also too tired to go on to the pass. That was a mistake too.

Nice report and pictures. Thanks for helping me revisit some old memories. 8)
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Siyeh Pass

10.9 miles
2285 ft elevation
3418 ft descent
(according to my Gaia app)

As much as I love it, wine and I don't get along. Every time I drink it, I end up awake in the middle of the night for about two hours. Doesn't matter if I sip one glass or five . . . It always happens. I thought that after the hike yesterday I would sleep well despite the glass (or two) that I enjoyed that evening, but I was wide awake at 3:00 am and maybe drifted off a bit here and there. I would guess I had 5 hours of sleep at the most.

I promise the rest of my trip report won't start with an intro about our alcohol indulgences. Just so you know a bit about our group, we are 7 gals who are good friends but don't get to spend a lot of time together back home due to family and work demands. So we were having a good catch up over a few drinks in the evenings. I have been organizing these hiking trips every summer since 2013. The group varies in size year to year, anywhere from 2-7. Some are there more so for the hiking, others more so for the social aspect. There's one gal that grew up hiking in the mountains of Europe and can climb like a mountain goat. Another girl has hiked only occasionally, but is still rather fit. We have a range of abilities, as in any large group.

Siyeh Pass . . . Our hike for the day. Our goal was to leave East Glacier at 7:15 am. There was quite a bit of frenzy to get out the door on time, and finding a bat on someone's bed didn't help the endeavor. Having two vehicles, we left East Glacier pretty much on time and had no problem parking one vehicle at Sunrift Gorge and the other at Siyeh Bend.

Side note-- I sure wish the Park would paint some lines for parking spaces. The Sunrift Gorge Parking area has plenty of room for cars to park on an angle or perpendicular to the road. When we got there that morning, there were at least 4 cars parked parallel to the road, taking up more precious parking space than necessary. A couple of those cars were still there parked like that at the end of the day.

A few of the gals were a bit nervous about the length and elevation change on this hike. So we started with some nerves that seemed to dissipate once we entered Preston Park. The beauty of that area is beyond words.

Peigan Glacier:

Peigan Glacier again:

Most people I know seem to like the climbs better than the descents. Not me. I am usually slower on the uphill and can fly on the downhill with no problem. However, I was sucking wind and slower than usual this morning. I think it was the horrible sleep and a lack of a substantial breakfast that did me in. I found my place at the back of the pack with another gal and enjoyed her company. We were slow but in good spirits as we climbed the switchbacks. We could see the Pass before us, and life was good. We were elated. In our minds, the end of the climb was in sight and the worst of it was almost over.

Then, I looked up and to the right and notice some hikers way up high, about 300-400 feet above us. I say, "Oh, look at those people. They must be off trail hiking." My friend says, "Nooooo . . . That's Christie! That's the trail!"

Be forewarned . . . the Siyeh Pass Trail is deceiving, folks. The trail does not actually go over Siyeh Pass, which separates Preston Park from the Boulder Creek drainage. Instead, the Siyeh Pass Trail approaches Siyeh Pass, but it then climbs higher to the south, I think along the side of Matahpi, and then over into the Baring Creek drainage. You actually never cross Siyeh Pass.

Right about then, the backcountry ranger came around the switchback. He stopped to talk to us for a few minutes. He said he liked to call Siyeh Pass "Disappointment Pass", because everyone thinks it is their destination and are then disappointed to learn they have more climbing to do. He described the rest of the trail to the cairn, making it sound like a piece of cake. And in the end, he was right . . . we were almost there! It looked so far, but we were at the high point only 10-15 minutes later.

We ate our lunch at the top and watched the sky turn grey. The ranger had told us to be off the high point by 2:00 because a storm was rolling in. We had some fun by the cairn and then headed down.

The scenery on the Sunrift Gorge side is ridiculously amazing.

Sexton Glacier in the background:

So pretty:

The wildflowers were out of this world:

I didn't expect the burn area to be so beautiful.

By the time we reached the river, the storm was rolling in. After being in the back of the pack on the way up, I had a burst of energy at the end and high tailed it back to Sunrift Gorge, leading the group.

I absolutely loved this hike. I would put it in my top 3 for sure.

We had dinner at Two Sisters before heading back to East Glacier. A long day, but a good one.

Tomorrows hike . . . Dawson Pass. Will the entire group make it? Stay tuned.
Last edited by teapot57 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

I loved the Siyeh Pass trail and hope to do it again someday.

Absolutely beautiful moth pic!

My grandson and I were going to do Dawson-Pitamakan in 2015 but had to cancel at the last minute due to my cat sitter needing to cancel at the last minute. I'm looking forward to your hike report and pics.

Deb
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

Great report and photos. My son, Martin, and I had quite a similar experience when we did a Siyeh Bend to Siyeh Pass round trip hike in 2005 (while my wife and daughter lazed around the lake at Apgar). I had done the full Siyeh trail hike in 1970 (not 1971 as I had said in another post) but I had completely forgotten (probably repressed) how many switchbacks there were above Preston Park before you reach the top.

I recall telling my son, "You go around a corner and there you are at the top." At some point when I was optimistic that we were close to the top, he spotted some people far above us and said "Dad, what are those people doing up there?"' I immediately said, "Oh, those people must be climbing the mountain." No sooner had I said that, then I realized "No, those people aren't climbing the mountain, they are on the trail and we obviously still have a long way to go." What a letdown!

I remember stopping at least twice on those switchbacks and wondering if I was going to make it. I told Martin to go on ahead because I had done this trail before and he had not. Finally when I was on my second break he hollered down that he thought he was at the top. With those words, I leaped up like a new man and bounded to the top to join him. It was great to be at Siyeh pass (or the high point on the Siyeh Pass trail) once again. What a beautiful spot.

Twice since then we have been back to the Park and we have had Siyeh Pass on our list but it didn't get done. Hopefully next time!

Lyman
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

. The pass is surprisingly far to the left in your photo (not the low spot), but I didn't quite make it over the pass. (Crazy windy).
Thanks, Jay! We were looking in the wrong direction then.
First time I hiked to Cobalt Lake the black flies were in abundance. I remember we couldn't stand still for a moment at Rockwell Falls. It was crazy.
No flies this trip, ND. And you are right-- it is your run of the mill mountain lake, nothing unique like Cracker. But I do think it's a beautiful area and a worthwhile destination. I like how the hike opens up in the last half so you aren't just walking through the trees.
Absolutely beautiful moth pic!

My grandson and I were going to do Dawson-Pitamakan in 2015 but had to cancel at the last minute due to my cat sitter needing to cancel at the last minute. I'm looking forward to your hike report and pics.[\quote]

Thanks, Deb! Do you know what type of moth it is? It really was beautiful. I've never seen one like it before.
I recall telling my son, "You go around a corner and there you are at the top." At some point when I was optimistic that we were close to the top, he spotted some people far above us and said "Dad, what are those people doing up there?"' I immediately said, "Oh, those people must be climbing the mountain." No sooner had I said that, then I realized "No, those people aren't climbing the mountain, they are on the trail and we obviously still have a long way to go." What a letdown!
Lyman-- that was our experience exactly! What a let down is right. :D
Jay w

Post by Jay w »

That shot into Boulder Creek drainage is great....with the shadows from the clouds. I also like the butterfly.

Keep it coming.

Jay
The NSA...the only people in the government who listen.
Deb1741

Post by Deb1741 »

teapot57 wrote:Do you know what type of moth it is? It really was beautiful. I've never seen one like it before.
I have a field guide book for Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks that I use quite a bit. There are 15 different moths identified with pictures and not one of them looks like the blue one you got a pic of. I tried searching for some pics and found a few that looked like it but they weren't found in North America. I'm not good enough with moth identification methods to narrow it down to an easier search. I know there are some field guides for just butterflies and moths so if I'm out and about this coming weekend I will look to see if I can find one.

The blue moth mystery continues........... :?

Deb
Last edited by Deb1741 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast" ~ unknown
"Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way" ~ Dr. Suess
llholmes1948
Donator
Donator
Please add the numbers(11): 0

Post by llholmes1948 »

For those who may not know it, that is Piegan Glacier in your second and fourth Siyeh photos. Sexton Glacier is the prominent snowfield in the ninth photo.
(But then again, maybe everyone on the Chat knows this stuff.)

Lyman
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

That shot into Boulder Creek drainage is great....with the shadows from the clouds. I also like the butterfly.

Keep it coming.

Jay
Thanks, Jay. I don't want to carry the extra weight so I didn't hike with my Canon at all this summer, just my iPhone. That's why you won't find many great photos in my trip report, but those two shots did come out alright for an iPhone.

The blue moth mystery continues........... :?

Deb
Thanks for your research, Deb! I was thinking maybe you knew off-hand. I'll try to look into it myself as well.
For those who may not know it, that is Piegan Glacier in your second and fourth Siyeh photos. Sexton Glacier is the prominent snowfield in the ninth photo.
(But then again, maybe everyone on the Chat knows this stuff.)

Lyman
Thanks you, Lyman! I went back and edited my post to name the glaciers. I just didn't think of it the first time.
MarxMN
2.1 Donator
2.1 Donator

Post by MarxMN »

The tree with the cones in the Colbalt Lake trip pictures is a fir tree. There appears to be a broad category of fir trees called subalpine fir that have upright black or blue cones.

Balsam fir is one of those. The link below is information on the balsam fir from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/trees_shrubs ... amfir.html
Last edited by MarxMN on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
teapot57
Moderator & 2.1 Donator
Moderator & 2.1 Donator

Post by teapot57 »

Dawson Day

One thing I stress about when choosing hikes for a group is trying to find ones that are within everyone's hiking ability. I would never want to push anyone beyond their limit if it would be unsafe. From past experience, I knew that by day 3, some group members were ready for a short day (remember, not all are serious hikers), while others were just starting to feel strong and ready to motor on. For that reason, I decided we would put Dawson Pass on the schedule for the third day. My thinking was that everyone could at least make it to No Name Lake. From there, a decision could be made as to who wanted to go on to Dawson Pass, or beyond for the entire loop. Those that wanted to skip the pass could hang out at No Name Lake, or head back to the trailhead.

I learned my lesson from the day before and got a better sleep and ate a filling breakfast with lots of protein. We again had boat reservations and were able to get out the door on time with no drama (ie bats).

There is about 900 feet of elevation gain on the way to No Name Lake. Once you leave the connector trail from the boat dock and actually get onto the Dawson Pass Trail, the climb begins. There is only a short section just before No Name Lake that levels out a bit.

That is the Pompelly Pillar up ahead and to the left of us. If you make it to Dawson, you actually climb higher than the Pillar.

Looking back at Two Medicine Lake:

When we arrived at No Name Lake, I was feeling strong. My legs and lungs felt good and I wasn't huffing and puffing like the day before. It was a warm day. The sun was shining bright and there wasn't much of a breeze.

A small part of No Name Lake looking toward the Two Medicine Valley with Pompelly Pillar to the right.

At the lake, I polled everyone to see how they wanted to proceed with the hike. It turned out that 3 wanted to press on, and three wanted to head back. Of the three that didn't want to climb Dawson, one was suffering from blisters, another was just not feeling it with the heat that day (remember, we're from Canada). The third was our new gal who I think was just done hiking.

We had taken two cars to Two Med and I was one of the drivers. The other driver was proceeding on to Dawson Pass, so I decided to join the turn back group. I think this surprised everyone, but it just felt like the right thing to do. I knew that the group going on to Dawson was a strong one, and I guess I felt some responsibility to see the others safely back to East Glacier. I also knew that I would have the opportunity to return to the Park the very next weekend and could do Dawson then if I so chose.

We decided to skip the boat and take the North Shore Trail back to the campground. We had a cow moose and her baby cross the trail a safe distance in front of us, but couldn't get a decent photo. When we got to the campground, it sure felt good to stop and soak our feet.

Turning back turned out to be a great idea, because we were back early enough to pick up dinner, more wine, firewood, and some huckleberry pie from the Two Medicine Grill. We ordered two pizzas from the Glacier Park Trading Co that did not disappoint.

The group that headed to the pass had a great hike, and decided to turn back after reaching Dawson Pass to make it back in time for the last boat. By the time they returned to the cabin, we had the pizza kept warm in the oven, ready to go. We ate supper on the cabin porch, where we noticed a load of bat droppings. We assume the bat we found Friday morning flew in while we were grilling Thursday night.

A great final night was spent outside by a fire. We watched a beautiful sunset and the many cows walk by. We even saw a few meteors light up the sky. I can't imagine a more perfect way for us to spend the final night of our trip.

But my adventures in the Park were not over. I would return in less than a week. I had unfinished business and wasn't ready to say goodbye to the Park just yet!
nkrainywindlg

Post by nkrainywindlg »

Wow, what a nice trip, I want to be one in your group~ :arrow:
I am also slow in the uphill and can fly on the downhill. I was really slow in the uphill, really slow at my age. :oops: I think I need more exercise.

Love your photos and I like the mixture of weather. with some white or gray clouds, the mountains look more beautiful~

Return to “Trip Reports”